You celebrate Halloween night to dress up, but others celebrate Dia de los Muertos in a different way, dressing up as Catrina. Would you like to bring the Mexican tradition of this day to your home? Get ready to learn how to make a Catrina cake!
It will be a cake without a doubt that will go down in history in your family. So, take note of all the ingredients you need to avoid screwing up.
For the cake
- 2 eggs
- 200 grams of sugar
- 200 grams of flour
- 150 ml of milk
- 4 tablespoons instant chocolate
- 110 grams of butter
- 30 grams of yeast
For the filling
- 150 grams of cream cheese (can be Mascarpone)
- 100 grams of condensed milk
- 9 oreo cookies
- 150 grams of cream cheese
- 100 grams of condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla essence
- 2 sheets of gelatin
- 100 grams of dark chocolate
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- 1 oreo cookie
Preparation of the Catrina cake
The fact that there are so many ingredients may have left you stunned. But don’t worry, it’s actually easier to do than it seems.
Preparation of the cake
- The first thing we are going to prepare is going to be the cake. So in a bowl, beat the eggs with the sugar , using electric whisks. As a result, you will have a mixture that has increased in volume and is frothy.
- To this mixture you must add the milk (at room temperature), as well as the instant chocolate . Keep beating until everything gets a uniform texture.
- Sift the flour into a deep bowl . Make a hole right in the center and add the yeast . Stir a bit to integrate.
- The butter should be at room temperature, so add it to the egg bowl and mix. Finally, go adding the flour little by little . So that it is not difficult for you to mix, the trick is to add half of what you have prepared, beat, and then the other half.
- With everything ready, preheat the oven to 180º C with heat up and down, without a fan. Grease the mold that you are going to use and pour the mixture, using a spatula to distribute it well.
- Baking time should be around 40-50 minutes (may be more or less depending on the oven). After half an hour, you can start to prick the cake to see if it is doing well inside.
- Once the skewer comes out clean, it will be time to remove your cake. Place the cake in a warm area. Let 10 minutes pass, unmold and then let it continue to cool.
Preparation of the filling
- As the cake cools you will prepare the filling. Something very simple, since using electric rods you only have to mix the cream cheese with the condensed milk.
- Chop the Oreo cookies , until they are like dust, mix them with the cream cheese and stir well, until you get a unique mixture.
- With the help of a large serrated knife, or a Lira, cut the cake in half horizontally, and fill with this mixture that you have made . Join the two parts and reserve.
Preparation of the coverage
- To make the cover, the first step will be to soak the gelatin sheets in cold water for about 5 minutes, so that they absorb the water.
- Meanwhile, mix the cream cheese with the condensed milk and vanilla . With the rods, stirring about 5 minutes should be enough. Then heat for a couple of minutes in the microwave.
- Strain the gelatin well, so that it is well drained, and add it to the hot cream. Beat everything together for several minutes , until you get a fine texture without lumps. Let cool for several minutes.
- Next, with the help of a spatula, cover the cake with the hot cream. It will take half an hour for the topping to set, so let it cool.
Preparation of the decoration
- We only have to do the decoration, which would be the makeup of the Catrina. Melt the chocolate to your liking: in the microwave, in a saucepan or in a bain-marie.
- When the chocolate is melted, mix well with the milk and let cool . Separate the Oreo cookie in two, which will serve to make the eyes.
- You put the chocolate in a pastry bag and use it to decorate the face of the Catrina , according to your personal taste. Place the eyes and ready to serve.
- If you want to do some special detail, because you already know that the Catrinas can be very colorful, you should melt white chocolate with a little milk. You add the coloring to taste and when it is cold you pour it into the cake, giving it color.