Sometimes combining two ingredients is the formula for success. Or have you never tried? Like, for example, mixing to get shortbread and gingerbread cookies for Halloween … a scary mix!
You will see that it is a recipe without much mystery, but just in case, we are going to help you to get them to have different colors, so that they are more striking.
for the cookies
- 100 grams of unsalted butter
- 250 grams of flour
- 150 grams of white sugar
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons of milk
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- ½ tablespoon cinnamon
For the glaze
- 150 grams of icing sugar
- Orange juice
- Coloring in various shades or fondant
Preparation of butter and gingerbread cookies for Halloween
If this mix works for other holidays, why wouldn’t I do it for Halloween? With the help of our recipe, we promise that there will be no one who does not make a terrified face due to surprise at how good they are.
- After starting the oven at 180º so that it reaches temperature, heat the butter a little in the microwave so that it is soft. Then, you beat it with the sugar until you get a whitish cream.
- In another bowl you will beat the three tablespoons of milk together with the egg , which will result in another whitish mixture. You add this to the butter with the sugar , getting a smoother paste.
- Sift the flour into a bowl and make a good hole in the center that leads to the bottom of the bowl. In said egg you throw the yeast, cinnamon and ginger . Stir with the help of a spoon so that everything is well integrated.
- Pour the butter mixture , continuing to beat, into this bowl. As a result, an increasingly consistent mass will be formed that you will have to start working with your hands for a couple of minutes. So that the dough does not stick to your hands, our advice is to flour them.
- After working the dough, form a ball , cover with plastic wrap and put in the fridge for at least half an hour , so that the mixture takes on a bit of body.
- Has the half hour already passed? Get the dough out of the fridge! Place flour on the counter, or the flat surface you are going to work on, and knead well with your hands and a rolling pin. Go cutting the shapes you want with a knife or with a mold and distribute them on the oven tray covered with baking paper.
- When putting them in the oven, keep in mind that each batch will have to be baked for about 15-20 minutes at 180º . Do not raise the temperature, or you could end up burning them.
- While they are being made, you can prepare what will be the glaze. To do this, sift the icing sugar into a new bowl , and mix it with the orange juice to give it a bit of texture. Then, mix with the fondant or food coloring of the color you want. Our advice is that you distribute the mixture of icing sugar with the orange juice in several bowls, and thus you will have different types of color.
- When you take out the cookies, and let them rest for 5 minutes , you can start coloring them according to the type of figure you have made. If you need to make eyes for ghosts or any other creature, instead of fondant you can use melted jelly beans or chocolate shavings.
- Among the cookies that we recommend to decorate, you could make ones decorated with a spider web and sweets stuck in the shape of a spider, skull-shaped cookies, cookies with a zombie face… your options are many!